Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Relief

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a new job. I resigned from my previous school back in March because I really felt it was an unhealthy place for me to be working. When an administrator tells you time and again that you need to decide if you want to be a good mom or a good teacher, I take issue with that. I've been teaching for 16 years and have had 5 children in that time. No one has ever told me that I needed to choose. I shouldn't have to choose. I can work a full time job and be a mom at the same time. Ridiculous. I also rarely ever got any positives about things that I did well. My teammate got all that praise. But, I digress.

I applied for well over 50 positions and finally started getting interviews the beginning of June. It's been a long process and I interviewed for six positions. I hate interviewing. Fortunately, the more I interview, the easier it gets and the better my interviews get. Interview number five is where I'll be working next year. I'm really excited that I'm still going to be teaching fifth grade. I ended up interviewing twice with the principal - she called me and asked that I come back the next day to answer more questions. She told me at the end of the interview that it's rare for a position to come up at this school because once people get in, they are there to stay. Wait, could you repeat that please? People LIKE working at this school? What a difference from my last school where almost 25 staff members left by the end of the year!

Today I received a phone call from one of my teammates letting me know that he's excited to have me on the team and the other two teachers would be calling me soon as well. Now that's classy! I've never been called by a teammate to welcome me. I am so beyond excited to be teaching at this school and I haven't even seen my classroom yet. I immediately liked the teaching and administrative staff during my interview and so far, everything is panning out on my original feelings. I'm going to be happy here. I just know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment