Thursday, February 17, 2011

A New School

Today I completed the final steps today to enroll JAD at Cheyenne Mountain Charter Academy here in the Springs. This school has a phenomenal educational program - and the highest CSAP and ACT scores in the state. I have been asking this school for well over 3 weeks now if I could enroll him this year. I had to put his application in as part of the lottery (he was drawn third - not bad!) and then beg and plead to just get him tested. The school finally (and grudgingly) agreed to allow him to take placement tests this past Monday. The administration also sent the message along that JAD would have to do extremely well in order to just be considered for enrollment. So on Monday, K took a 1/2 day off work and took JAD for his placement tests. We received the results on Wednesday... and JAD starts school on Tuesday! He had to take tests in writing, reading, grammar, and math. We were told that he missed only one question in grammar and only one question in reading. Why don't people listen to me when I say this kid is gifted? I'm extremely excited for him and I'm pretty sure he's happy, too. This school, in so many ways, reminds me of our dear CLS back in Wisconsin. I'm hoping that he adjusts quickly (at least 2 hours of homework every night) and makes some friends. The nice thing is, he has several friends that already attend the school. The bad thing is, he is the oldest of his friends and they are all in 7th grade. But, beggars can't be choosers and this is an incredible school to be accepted into. I will keep you updated with my progress and JADs as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment