Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Incline

If anyone is an avid hiker, exercise enthusiast, or crazy person and you have been in Colorado Springs for any amount of time, you've probably heard of the Incline. And, yes, I am capitalizing it for reasons you will soon understand. The incline is NOT for the weak of heart. In short, you climb about 2,000 feet in one mile. People, that's a 200 story building in 5,280 feet. It's a workout. Here's what one website says:


Notice that last line? Stair-master on a mountain. This is exactly what it is. I went through most of the water in my 2 quart Camelbak in the time it took to get up. My legs were burning and I thought my quadriceps were going to give out, but once I got up there I felt on top of the world. I had accomplished something that many people haven't. If you had asked me halfway up if I would do this again, my answer would have been a resounding NO. But, I'm planning on next Wednesday making the hike again! I've compared it to childbirth - you hate it every minute you're going through it, but once it's over you forget the pain and you want to do it again.

Here are some pictures that we took while on the Incline.

Looking UP

A view looking down from just about halfway up

Looking down from the (almost) top

My favorite picture of K and me in recent times. This picture was taken as we were coming down Barr Trail.

Happy climbing!

No comments:

Post a Comment