Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Waste of Time

This weekend, we had a rummage sale. I, of course, had delusions of grandeur and thought we would sell SO MUCH STUFF because I have the BEST stuff EVER and everyone who drives by will just want to buy it all. Ya, well, things didn't quite work out that way. I was up at the crack of dawn to set up and get the final things to sell out the door. By seven a.m. I had people already walking around my driveway looking at things (what part of 'No early birds' don't we understand???). We had good traffic throughout the day and made very little money. As always, a disappointment. By 11:30 in the morning, I had my computer and camera outside so I could sell individual 'big ticket' items on craigslist. Craigslist is my friend and I plan on never subjecting myself to a rummage sale again. I say that now, but I know someday in the future I will once again succumb to the Ihavethebeststuffeverandeveryonewillwanttobuyit syndrome and get ready for a rummage sale again. If I do, will you please shoot me?

K sold his motorcycle - but not via the sale. Craigslist. We sold a wooden headboard with matching footboard. Again, craigslist. Antique wardrobe? Craigslist. Extra twin box spring mattresses? Yep, craigslist. Computer desk? I'm sure you can guess. So, why in the world would I even bother to subject myself to the pain of a rummage sale? Because, apparently, I'm dumb. Oh well, live and learn. So, by the end of this week, I will have made almost as much money as I fantasized I would thanks to the wonders of the free posting site of craigslist. If you have something to sell, I highly recommend this method. You don't have to worry about shipping costs, because all buyers are local, and most of your unwanted items are gone within days.

Meanwhile, Goodwill hates me because I brought all of my leftover crap to them. And, believe me, there was a lot. I got eye-rolling, grunting, and barely a word of thanks as I gave them all of my unwanted treasures. Well, pooh on them. They'll be seeing me again very, very soon because I have a trunk full of kids' clothes still. Ha! My own personal vindication (of what, I don't know, but I will feel vindicated as I drop more stuff off. Again!)

No comments:

Post a Comment