Thursday, December 23, 2010

Oh the Torture!

I have been wrapping gifts (again!) for well over an hour. Why do I spend so much time doing this when the kids will tear through them in less than ten minutes? It really seems like an exercise in futility. But as my friend J would say - 'shiny!!!' and that's what my kids see. CED asked me tonight why people wrap gifts. I thought it was a very good question myself. So I turned it back on her and asked, 'Would you rather have a bunch of stuff just thrown under the tree and know what you're getting weeks ahead of time?' Her answer was a resounding 'NO'.

If you do a quick Google search about the history of wrapping, you will find that people in the Victorian era frequently wrapped gifts for others in tissue paper (colored once available) or a sturdy brown paper. At the beginning of last century, as printing presses became more adept at putting colored pictures and patterns on paper, people began to wrap gifts in brightly colored paper. So, although Christmas wrapping paper is a fairly new invention, wrapping gifts for others has been around for quite a long time. I bet this is more than you actually wanted to know, isn't it?

So, off I am to wrap more gifts. Actually, stocking stuffers. Because I'm tired of wrapping things Christmas Eve when all I want to do is crawl into bed. Hope ya'll have a great night's sleep. I'll be buried under red and green wrapping paper. Wrapping. Wrapping. Wrapping.

No comments:

Post a Comment